Monday, February 1, 2010

Labor day

This year Labor day fell on January 26, 2010.
I started having contractions around 3:30am. 9 minutes apart. really bad low back pain like period cramps. They got closer together. By 6am they were 5 minutes apart. I woke up Logan and said "I really think you need to get up and get ready...I think she is coming today." I took a shower, finished packing Tallulah's bag, and ours. Called my dad to say happy birthday and I think I will be giving him a baby for his birthday. They got ready so they could get Tallulah from us at the hospital. Logan called his parents. This wasn't a fake out like last weeks contractions. It was happening.

We got to the hospital at 7am. I was dilated to a 5 and the contractions were 3-5 minutes apart. I felt like I could possibly do this without an epidural this time, but fluids in me just in case. Progressed quickly. Had a half dose of Fentynol to take the edge off. By 11ish I was already an 8. Logan's mom took Tallulah to our house for a nap. My doctor was in a meeting till 1:15, so my goal was to wait till then. By 130 I was ready. Where is he?! I had to WAIT for the doctor to get there; he ran red lights. I couldn't hold off any longer, baby was pushing and I couldn't stop my natural instincts...but had to! Dr. Johnson came in the room. I said "I need you!" They said I could start pushing. WAIT!!! Slow down, hold it. don't push! okay one more. At 2:05pm, Sweet baby Sophia placed/slipped off the doctors hands onto my tummy. She was here! and I didn't want to spank her! 3 pushes, 3 half doses of drugs, 11 hours of labor. That was it! I wasn't on fire. My back quit hurting. My heart was at peace seeing my second born for the first time. She wasn't gurgley. She was slimy and pink and white. She could breathe and scream and wiggle. Oh how I love those first moments...the smallest things hold such meaning and you can breathe again. All is well in the world. and MY doctor was the one who delivered. Oh how we love him.

She weighed in at 7 pounds 11 ounces. 21 inches long. Oh the sweetness of a smaller child. Tallulah paved the way at 8 pounds 8 ounces. The difference was all head and cheeks.

Giving birth is NOT the end of the world. I could do it again. and maybe I am the rare exception- the babies get smaller and the delivery gets quicker (well thats not rare). Hopefully that continues.

I wanted to write this down before I forgot. It isn't eloquent. but it happened. and Oh how I love my girls.

4 comments:

  1. After hearing so many horror stories about labor, I have been officially freaked out (not that I'm having kids anytime soon). Thank you for sharing your story and not making it sound like the worst thing in the world. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. it really wasn't too bad...it still WAS labor. I wouldn't want to feel that way indefinitely, but it is just for a moment, with an amazing reward in the end. I would do it all over again. and it was much easier than Tallulah's Labor Day! but I even got through THAT one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3 pushes!? good job! Praises to God for blessing you with another beautiful and healthy girl!

    ReplyDelete